How I eat healthily as a disorganised person
Monday, May 9, 2022
Here’s how I manage to eat healthily as someone with executive dysfunction and almost no interest in food:
- Frozen everything
- Did you know you can get frozen garlic cubes? Frozen chopped onion? You literally just heat up oil and toss them directly in from frozen. This is the only way I can ever make sauces.
- Frozen veg – I think spinach and broccoli work best; I just pour hot water over and microwave for 2 mins. And I add spinach to literally everything.
- Frozen fruit – peaches, pineapple, berries… again, just microwave for 2 mins, or add directly to a smoothie.
- Tomato puree. Even easier than tinned tomatoes – just mix tomato puree with water for an instant sauce (use the frozen garlic to give this flavour).
- Canned coconut milk. Add to tomatoe puree and curry spice and you have a basic curry sauce in 2 mins.
- Microwave and dishwasher. You can steam vegetables in the microwave in a bowl with a little water for 2-3 minutes, then put the bowl in the dishwasher. No pans to wash up = much more likely to cook veg.
- Huel. It’s not the best but if I’m really struggling to cook anything it’s super useful to be able to just make a Huel smoothie (I add soya milk, frozen spinach and frozen fruit).
- Rice cooker. Although even being organised enough to think half an hour ahead and put rice on doesn’t work for me that often, in which case:
- Rye bread. I also freeze loaves of bread, then toast to defrost.